Need wood filler that will hold screws

linnea56July 7, 2011

I need to fill holes that have become too loose for their screws. Wood (actually pressed wood) is very shallow so just selecting wider screws will not work: wider becomes longer, and will stick out on the other side. I already have the widest short screws I can find, and they can't easily be trimmed off on the other side due to projecting parts.

I know most wood fillers are cosmetic and not meant to hold screws. I have some of that mixable water putty but have found it very difficult to use on a different project. Couldn't get it to stay in the hole, and then when dry, tightening the screw just pulled it all out again.

Cross post to Home Repair. I don't normally post in two places, but I will need this unit fixed by Friday.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Forget the putty.

Dribble in some thin viscosity super glue. This will wick into the fibers and strengthen them. Then add in some sections of match sticks or toothpicks and add another drop of glue. Let that set up a minute, then re-insert your screws.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 5:42PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™