Overlay on replacement cabinet doors

pbishopJuly 7, 2012

Hi everyone

I am replacing the doors on framed kitchen cabinets and I am trying to achieve a frameless look. Most of the Euro hinges I have seen for framed cabs max out at 1&1/4 inch.

Does the overlay have to be the same on all 4 sides of the cabinet? If I make the height and the side opposite the hinge greater than 1&1/4 inch am I going to have problems.

If anyone has experience with a good euro hinge with a greater overlay than 1&1/4 inch please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_ruth

I do not see the height being an issue since the installation depends on hinge placement rather than an adjustment.

I am not sure how you are installing hinges on a 3/4 face frame with a Euro hinge. But since adjustments need to be made for pulling in and letting out to make vertical installation straight, there may be a problem there.
Of course you realize that the Euro hinge was meant to install on a side end panel, and not leave that much reveal on those 3/4" sides.

It is hard to know if all your door openings and face frames are plumb and level to begin with.

Have you checked all your options for a face frame hinge you could adapt to this? Or remove the face frames and remake door and frames to be less width? Just throwing options out there. I used to manage a kitchen department for a custom cabinet shop, so I am limited in that I have not actually built cabinets myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hinge choices option

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:59PM
CEFreeman

Why don't you check out Barker Doors.com. They have great instructions on how to measure for all the different overlays, and including inset.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 2:48PM
mary_ruth

Thanks for posting that, I am looking forward to reading all that is on that site!

pbishop,
I wish you all the luck in finding your solution!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
Sponsored Products
Austin Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Eliza Gloss One Light LED Table Lamp
$144.00 | Bellacor
Red Cedar Octagon Gazebo Cupola
Fifthroom.com
29" Clinton Single Tilt-Out Wood Laundry Hamper - Black
Signature Hardware
Valhalla Designer Series Medium Brown Walnut 2-Door Nightstand
Overstock.com
Afina Signature Collection Contemporary Integral Lighted Single Door 24W x 34H i
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™