Overlay on replacement cabinet doors

pbishopJuly 7, 2012

Hi everyone

I am replacing the doors on framed kitchen cabinets and I am trying to achieve a frameless look. Most of the Euro hinges I have seen for framed cabs max out at 1&1/4 inch.

Does the overlay have to be the same on all 4 sides of the cabinet? If I make the height and the side opposite the hinge greater than 1&1/4 inch am I going to have problems.

If anyone has experience with a good euro hinge with a greater overlay than 1&1/4 inch please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_ruth

I do not see the height being an issue since the installation depends on hinge placement rather than an adjustment.

I am not sure how you are installing hinges on a 3/4 face frame with a Euro hinge. But since adjustments need to be made for pulling in and letting out to make vertical installation straight, there may be a problem there.
Of course you realize that the Euro hinge was meant to install on a side end panel, and not leave that much reveal on those 3/4" sides.

It is hard to know if all your door openings and face frames are plumb and level to begin with.

Have you checked all your options for a face frame hinge you could adapt to this? Or remove the face frames and remake door and frames to be less width? Just throwing options out there. I used to manage a kitchen department for a custom cabinet shop, so I am limited in that I have not actually built cabinets myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hinge choices option

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:59PM
CEFreeman

Why don't you check out Barker Doors.com. They have great instructions on how to measure for all the different overlays, and including inset.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 2:48PM
mary_ruth

Thanks for posting that, I am looking forward to reading all that is on that site!

pbishop,
I wish you all the luck in finding your solution!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™