Weird door buzzer . . .

dgsgApril 18, 2010

SoCal Ranch style built in 1953. Door buzzer is located behind refrigerator in the plug box. Worst sounding thing I have ever heard! What is required to upgrade this unit? I can find no links to anything like it. Start from scratch, or just run wiring into the unused cabinet above the fridge and install a new chime?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kurto

I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying that the door buzzer is "in the plug box". Are you saying that the buzzer itself is in a junction box that also contains an electrical receptical? Would you have a picture of that?

Door buzzers and bells are pretty simple. Generally, all that is involved is a small transformer (to provide lower voltage power), a switch, and a bell or buzzer. All of these things are connected together with some relative small wire, since there's not much current involved. The wire itself probably doesn't need to be replaced unless the insulation is cracked, or there's some other flaw. The devices (transformer, switch, and bell/chime/buzzer) can all be easily be found at any home improved store. I usually replace all three of these items at the same time, particularly if they've been around for a while as yours have.

Of course, if the wire is accessible, you can replace that as well. Nowadays, lots of folks go with wireless devices to skip the challenge of hiding wires behind walls.

And please turn the power off to the circuit breaker or fuse supplying power to the door buzzer before you attempt any modifications. Even though the voltage is relatively low (except for the 120V supplying the transformer), it can still knock you off a ladder if you get in its way.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 2:33PM
dgsg

Yep, it is located in a junction box designed for (2) dual plug outlets. 1/2 has the plug for the fridge and the other 1/2 contains the door buzzer. Did I say the buzzer sounds like hell! Even the restoration hardware stores in the area have never seen anything like it. Maybe I will just disconnect it and install a pretty powder coated brass knocker on the front door!

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 8:49PM
DavidR

Doesn't sound like anything I've ever seen. I'd love to see a photo of it, if you can post one somewhere.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Sponsored Products
Rustic Furniture Creations - Elk Creek Log Bed
Great Furniture Deal
Spot on Square | Ulm Credenza
YLiving.com
Catalina Buffet - 2 Doors and 1 Drawer by Copeland Furniture
$2,239.00 | Lumens
Fabric Verticals. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Liberty Furniture Le Grande Platform Bed & Dresser & Mirror & Nightstand in Rich
Beyond Stores
59" Dumont Double Sink Vanity - Wenge
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™