New technique I can't live without

loribee2October 31, 2010

I'm sure some of you veterans have been doing this for years, but I just gave this new technique a shot and it worked so beautifully, I'm hooked for life.

I use thinset for adhesive since all of my mosaics so far are for outdoors. The other night, I put some thinset in a plastic sandwich baggie, cut off a corner and applied it to my project ala pastry bag. OMG, this is the best ever! I had a way easier time getting the right amount into small areas. And best of all, it keeps for days and days. I'm only able to mosaic a few nights a week for a couple hours at a time, and it's wonderful being able to pick up my ready-filled bag, pull off the little bit of thinset that dried over the tip and have at it. When I'm done, there's no clean-up. I just set the bag down, close up for the night and it's there waiting to go next time.

I love this! I know from seeing an old post that some have already been using this technique for years, but I wanted to bring it back up in case there are newbies out there who haven't tried it. This works beautifully for small projects where you want to work on a little section at a time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

I've been mosaicing for over 10 years and just this past month started using this method. When I think of all the frustration I could have saved myself! I love this method and will never go back to mixing in containers!

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:36PM
jenel

Wow, that's amazing! I'll try to remember that for my next project. The fact that the thinset stays usable for several days will be a lifesaver! Like you, I can't work on the mosaic every day (or even close to it.) Thank you!

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:38PM
loribee2

It does. I was really surprised because I didn't bother sealing the bag tight or anything. I just threw it down, figuring I'd toss it and make a new one the next time. But when I came back, the little nob of dried thinset just popped right off the tip and the rest was good as new. I also love that if I want to set down just one tile, I can pipe a dab ob thinset on my base instead of buttering the tile. It's way easier than trying to hold a tiny piece of tile while sticking adhesive on it.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 9:28PM
loribee2

It does. I was really surprised because I didn't bother sealing the bag tight or anything. I just threw it down, figuring I'd toss it and make a new one the next time. But when I came back, the little nob of dried thinset just popped right off the tip and the rest was good as new. I also love that if I want to set down just one tile, I can pipe a dab ob thinset on my base instead of buttering the tile. It's way easier than trying to hold a tiny piece of tile while sticking adhesive on it.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 9:29PM
nanatricia

I have been doing this a long time .It is great also you can put it in the icebox over night and it will keep .

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 9:44PM
aka_strawberrygoat

cool, since I don't bake cakes to decorate~
much lower on the sugars....lol

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™