basement windows

james_007October 1, 2011

I am thinking about replace my basement windows before we finish the basement. These windows are very old (60yrs old?). There are 7 of them. I measured from inside the concrete opening is 32.25"x14.25". But it looks like the opening is a little deeper (about 16") originally.

I plan to replace them by myself and I am confident I can install them properly. I have been Lowes and Homedepot but I don�t like their basement windows. I am in Boston, MA. What I am looking for is vinyl hopper basement window with a better quality than HD one. The Lowes window is not easy to take apart of them for repair/clean. I have asked two building supply companies but they don�t have basement window in stock and also they don�t want to deal with end user. Is that the policy for all window dealers? Do you know any place will sell windows to DIY guy? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

At Home Depot, the Simonton hopper (6500 series) is pretty good.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 11:04AM
james_007

Strange. I asked one of the HDs in my area and also looked online, there was no Simonton brand. But they have TAFCO WINDOWS now (online).

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 11:55AM
dennisgli

I'm in the Boston area and I've always used J&C Adams and JB Sash and Door - but I don't know if they carry vinyl?

When I replaced my basement windows I made new frames out of pressure treated 2x and inserted an Andersen Basement/Utility window. The originals were just wood - but the one I replaced a few years ago was Fibrex with dual-pane glass.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 2:49PM
james_007

thank you, dennisgli. Do they sell windows to homeowner? I want to install them myself.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 6:33PM
dennisgli

Yes, I don't think they will have a problem selling direct to you.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™