how to finish oak brick mold?

netskiJuly 4, 2008

I have a fiberglass door I am finishing in English Walnut. I need to know how to finish the brick mold which is Oak. I am afraid to stain and varnish it because we had an outdoor table that we worked hard on staining, sanding, varnishing and after abt 3 months outside it peeled and blistered and was totally destroyed. I am about ready to have it covered like the soffit and facsia and forget it. Any ideas? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rredogg

netski,

I was successful using conventional stain and the covering with MINWAX/Spar Urethane (clear stain). I've got the therm-tru fiberglass door with the oak brick-molding. My door is pretty well protected from direct sunlight though. If your door is getting a lot of direct sunlight I check into something like a marine-grade urethane or varnish.

That oak trim (brick molding)stained and finished will add additional beauty to the door.

Best of luck with the project, rredogg

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 1:59PM
netski

thanks so much rreddogg. My door is also a therma-tru and I appreciate the info. I guess my best bet would be Sherwin-Williams. Thanks

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 9:25PM
skanman14

another thing you can do is a apply a tintable primer or a paint that compliments the color you want to end up with, from there you can put on a gel stain, it sounds crazy but trust me it works ive done it

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™