recessed light problem

nicktApril 27, 2010

Hi, I have several recessed lights installed in the cathedral ceiling of my office. A while back, one stopped working. I think it blinked occasionally before going out (but not sure of this). I have switched bulbs with no success. I don't really know much about lighting/electrical, but I assume it is the ballast, since there are not many parts involved in these things. This a link to the housing with a schematic:

http://www.lbclighting.com/NLIC-401QSAT.html#more_info

My question is can I change the ballast myself? I am handy but limited in electrical. Also, will I have to tear out some of my ceiling to get to the ballast? The drawing seems to indicate components inside and outside the housing. I can see the internal components after taking the cover and can off, but the other part is obviously inside the ceiling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

I suggest you buy an identical replacement fixture. You can use it for parts and can explore it to see what you need to do to make the repairs without tearing up the ceiling. The socket, thermal sensor or transformer can all be failure points.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™