under cabinet wiring

hil357April 22, 2013

Please forgive my ignorance... I have zero electrical experience. Am trying to figure out if we can do this ourselves. I have attached a poor attempt at outlining where we currently have under cab lighting (marked in red). They are halogen bars that are each directly wired. We hate that we have to currently turn each on one by one - and they get really hot. So, we're thinking of starting from scratch w/ one of these kits from InspiredLED: http://inspiredled.com/Shop-by-Project/kitchen-lighting

The problem we run into is trying to get lighting to the wall w/ the pantry on it, and ideally I'd like to have lighting under the open shelf on the wall opposite. Would this just be a matter of their 'in wall cables' down to our basement and back up through the walls? The basement below is unfinished and I can see the current romex going up to the kitchen. Should we abandon the romex that is currently there? Again, I just want to hit a switch and have it all turn on. Any info you can provide would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If you can fish things down to the basement, then you can run new wiring. What are these lights currently connected to? Is there already a light switch somewhere that controls them?

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:47AM
Ron Natalie

If you can fish things down to the basement, then you can run new wiring. What are these lights currently connected to? Is there already a light switch somewhere that controls them?

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:48AM
btharmy

Unfinished basements are an electricians dream. With all of that access, almost anything is possible.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:08PM
hil357

ronnatalie - currently they are all on one circuit but I believe connected to other things - no wall switch at all (have to be individually turned on!)

Thanks - our handyman will be installing and we purchased a kit w/ in-wall wires so he could run the different cabinet banks through the basement (fingers crossed)

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:39PM
Ron Natalie

Be VERY careful here. The cordage on the downstream side of that transformer does NOT appear to be legal to run within walls.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:32AM
hil357

Thanks...not sure what that means exactly but our kit doesn't have a transformer - only the power supply and then the remote kit. Other than that, it's just the interconnect cables for the LEDs.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:15PM
Ron Natalie

Transformer = Power Supply (two names for the same thing...really the power supply is more than just a transformer but people tend to call them that).

Read the instructions very carefully. As I stated, those interconnecting cords on the light side of the power supply do not look like they are legal to install through house framing. They're designed to be part of the cabinets only.
I'd confirm it by reading the instructions, but the link to the PDF of the installation info on that site appears to be busted.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:04AM
hil357

Oh I see. Will do - thanks
The only cords we intend to run within the walls are a few where we have to conceal because of a break in the cabinet banks...we got 3 of these to achieve that: http://inspiredled.com/Shop-by-Project/kitchen-lighting/in-wall-cable

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:09AM
armada

as long as you have enough of the "in wall" rated cable for going between the break in cabinets, you'll be fine. As ronnatalie said, just make sure the other wire stays in the undercabinet part and not the wall. Did you figure out where you wanted a wall switch to turn these on? That will obviously require some "in wall" rated wire as well.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Sponsored Products
Orbitor Black 12-Inch Outdoor Wall Light with Frosted Glass
$257.95 | Bellacor
Classic Home Furniture - Wood Bedside Cabinet In Brown - 59914613
Great Furniture Deal
Unilume LED Slimline Plug-In Wall Feed by Tech Lighting
$16.00 | Lumens
Carry Tufted Wheat Color Bench
Overstock.com
1-Light Wall / Bath Bell Metal Bronze
$25.47 | PLFixtures