Increae bar stool height

shianeJuly 30, 2011

We have 2 bar stools that are 24" and we want to increase that to 30". We purchased these high end stools about 10 years ago on a trip to High Point, N. Carolina. The bar stools sat in our basement (never used!) until now. We bought them for our new kitchen which, as it turned out, didn't happen until now! LOL.

We love the style and size of these bar stools --we have looked at new but none are as wide and comfortable.

The stools are the swivel style. We would like to sandwich some round wood disks in the center (to increase the height) and reattach the swivel and the seat. (Our plan is to glue and screw the disks together and then sandwich them.)

Is this a good plan? We are having difficulty in locating thick enough wood to make the disks. We would like 2" to 3" thick disks that we could screw and glue together. We can cut our own disks if needed. What wood would be suitable? Any suggestions and know-how would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"We would like 2" to 3" thick disks that we could screw and glue together. "

Use more disks of thinner material.

Hardwoods are normally sold in quarter inch increments of thickness, specified as 4/4 (1 inch), 6/4 (1.5 inch), 8/4 92 inch), and even 12/4 (3 inch).
The price per board foot goes up with thicker sections (along with the number of board feet they contain).

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 12:27PM
shiane

Thank you Brickeyee, now I know what to look for as to size. What wood do you suggest for the centers of the bar stools?

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 12:10AM
brickeyee

"What wood do you suggest for the centers of the bar stools?"

Any good hardwood.

A lot depends on what color you want and how the filler pieces will be stained and finished.

Unless you take steps a lot of end grain will be present in the edges of the disks and will need careful attention to avoid having it colored very dark by stain or dye.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 9:31AM
Dwight1047

To increase the height of swivel bar stools, simply buy 6-10" furniture legs and turn the tops to match the stool legs. Drill the size whole in the middle to allow the legs to fit snugly. Stain to match the wood of the stool. Glue leg if needed. Very quick and simple way to increase height without increasing the distance from the seat to the footrest.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™