Replacing a complete veneer dresser drawer front?

chickadee__3aJuly 11, 2009

I have acquired an old bedroom set in fairly good condition, but the veneer on one dresser drawer front has lifted completely off in a single sheet. I'm looking for directions to successfully re-apply the veneer. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

You may or may not be able to successfully re-apply the sheet.

First off, I use hide glue as it was most certainly what was originally used on an antique and it will reactivate itself. You may be able to use the "liquid" version that does not require keeping the glue hot. Using this glue, then, rules out some unconventional options (contact cement, iron-on, etc.)

Two complicating factors are
- if there is any curvature to the piece
- if there is existing finish on the show side.

If it's flat:
- lightly clean the crystallized glue off the substrate and back of the veneer.
- apply a light coat of hide glue over the back of the veneer and position the piece in place
- apply a caul of some type of sheet goods (MDF, plywood, etc.) and clamp it down in as many places as possible
- let the glue dry overnight at least. Clean up squeeze out with warm water on a rag.

If it's curved, you have more problems. This is often done by a process called "hammer veneering" where a veneer hammer is used like a squeegee to press the veneer down onto the hot glue while it gels and cools. But this really needs unfinished veneer. Another option would be to proceed as above, but use a vacuum veneer press to hold and clamp the veneer in place. This could be really tricky and may require you to disassemble the drawer front.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™