Help! How to straighten warped cabinet door?

ChanticoJuly 31, 2005

Hi - I'm new to this forum, though I spend alot of time in kitchens and appliances. Hope there are some pros here who can help me out!

We have two cabinet doors that have warped. They are both from upper cabinets.

Doors: (22" X 33" - solid cherry, & 18'X 33" - cherry frame with glass insert.)

They have warped (along the side that closes, the top edge meets the cabinet, the bottom edge is about 1/8 - 1/4" away from the cabinet.)

1) Is there any way I can straighten these as a DIY?

2) If a cabinetmaker fixed them, what would be a reasonable cost?

3)Will it require re-finishing afterward?

Thanks for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry, I can't think of any simple, effective way to straighten out a warped cabinet door. Wood is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water vapor from the air, and releases water vapor back into the air, when the humidity is low. Warping is caused by dimensional changes as the wood dries out, including twisting. There is a lot that can be done to prevent or limit warping. If the grain is twisted, it is possible to laminate a second piece of wood with opposing twist, so that the forces cancel out.

Since your cabinet doors are solid cherry, and since they are all stained and finished to match, I would be inclined to live with the warped doors, as is.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 9:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

One simple thing you can do is use a strong clip type latch that really holds the bottom of the door in when you close it. If there is a backing that stops the top from going in any further than level with the cabinet, this should work. The door won't unwarp, but it will sit straight when it is closed.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Slight warpage is extremely common in solid wood doors. If you have concealed, european-style hinges you may be able to tweak the position of the hinges to hide it.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the responses! These are framed cabinets and I'll try Sharon sd's idea of an extra clip latch at the bottom,...or I'll just learn to love them as they are.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We have one of those coffeemakers that sits on the kitchen counter, below the cabinets. It releases a bit of steam when it is in use, so I like to pull it out, away from the cabinets. So far, the cabinet doors look OK, but I wonder what they will look like in a few more years.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 10:16PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
Sponsored Products
30 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
24" Venica Teak Makeup Drawer
Signature Hardware
Bullet Flood Light by Troy Lighting
$81.50 | Lumens
Door Stops White Magnetic Door Bumper 2 3/4 '' Proj | 17891
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Microfiber Black 42-Inch x 84-Inch Grommet Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
Modern Vintage Style by Emily Chalmers - Hardcover
| Dot & Bo
AF Lighting Candice Olson Margo Floor Lamp - Cream Shade - 6673-FL
$498.00 | Hayneedle
Design House 541391 Montclair 30-inch Chestnut Glaze Triple-door Medicine Cabine
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™