Estimate for Soft-Lite Pro Windows

ras1984September 19, 2011

I'm in northern VA and need to replace four leaky windows on the rear of the house. All sliders. We got an estimate from a company for Soft-Lite Pro sliders with 8/8 grids, white on white, low E and argon. All are 36x36. Our estimate was $2400. Is this correct for just four windows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

Depends on what is involved in the installation. Many companies have a minimum number of windows they will install. That price doesn't seem out of line to me. Why do you think it is? Soft-lite is one of the better brands out there.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 11:44PM
windowsonwashington

Seems like a pretty good price without knowing more about the installation.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 12:35AM
ras1984

Thanks! I just wasn't sure and know very little about windows. I just know that the current ones are leaking and we want to replace them as a result.

I feel like we are only going to be in the house about another 5 years before we move so would it make more sense to go a cheaper route and get a different brand?

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 9:52AM
skydawggy

Sure if you don't mind leaving a poor quality window for the person who buys your house to deal with. I hope, for your sake, the person who currently owns the next house you buy doesn't think like you do. Wouldn't that be poetic justice?

Why don't you contact another Softlite Dealer in Northern Virginia and see if he would be willing to offer a little better pricing? I think your biggest issue is that you only want 4 windows. There's not a lot of profit in 4 windows.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 11:30AM
ras1984

True, point taken - that's practically the situation we're in now. We just bought the house a couple months ago. Thanks for your advice!

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 12:37PM
skydawggy

Another suggestion would be to ask the dealer for a price on the Softlite Barrington. It's a step down from the Pro, but it's still a nice window for someone on a tight budget.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™