Best Wood for Window Sills

txclaudSeptember 28, 2010

I just installed new Marvin clad casement windows in my 1931 tudor house. I am trying to maintain the look of this house (we kept the cladding black, the original color). The frames are totally rotted. A friend advised me to use ipe, but I heard it could not paint well and is not really used on sills (more for decks). Very hard to install. Is this true? Also advised Azek, but heard it could not be painted a dark color---and we need brown. Any advice on what's the best wood to use? We live in the Northeast. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Cedar has a good record of holding up.

Who said that Azek cannot be painted brown?

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njcaleb

You might look into a product called Timbersil for your windows. It's the same southern yellow pine that they start with for pressure treated lumber. Instead of the nasty chemicals however they inject it with sodium silicate and then bake it. the silicate fuses into a glass like material in the pores of the wood making it inert; rot proof, insect proof and won't burn. Best part is it looks like untreated wood and works about the same. I just completed a big pergola project with it and really enjoyed working with it. It's kinda particular in how it takes paint (you've got to sand the wood before you paint) but it seems to take paint well. You could also look into using mahogany but without being sure of it's origin, I'm reluctant to use something that might be contributing to rainforest destruction.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™