Anderson window repair?

blondelleSeptember 21, 2011

I have 4 large Anderson casement windows. Was told they are 4C light or something like that. Large windows about 85" and 63" high and 4 crank out windows in each. The wood frames on the windows are warped and the cranks are shot and the frame around them has some rotted areas as the windows were never capped. There's about an 1" gap in places when you close the window. Not great in a NY winter. I don't see why the frames can't be planed down to close just like you do with a door whose wood has swelled. Had two window repair places come out and tell me no dice.

The windows are over 25 years old. Guess nothing lasts forever but they have been tearing down houses on my block after they are sold so I'm reluctant to put money into the house which is over seven figures as I don't think I will get it back in resale. Land is worth more than the structure.

Time for new windows, or is there anything I can do? Don't even mind pulling them shut with handles. Been quoted from $7,000 - $8,000 to replace. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

What do you want to put back in that window's place?

Same 4-Lite Casement?

You could easily get a 3-Lite Casement or 3-Lite slider in there as well as 2 mulled double hungs.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 5:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blondelle

For the design of the house I think I to keep with 4-lite casements with the 2 outer windows pivoting open. Got the best deal from Window World. Checked them out with the BBB and they have an A+ rating for the franchise I want to use. Would be $999 each for a basic 96 X 63 4 lite window without a new frame and capping. I would put in better ones if I were keeping the house, but I'm not.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Feedback / sanity check on Marvin & Kolbe quotes
So I got my rough quotes from a local Marvin Design...
aptosca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™