Aluminum windows = bad?

ltlredwagonSeptember 28, 2010

Replacing old single-glazed windows in a mountain cabin (cold winters). Researching windows and all the buzz - good and bad - seems to be about vinyl, fiberglass, wood-clad, etc. Then I looked at what I have - bronze-tone (anodized?) aluminum. They've been there for 35 years and are a bit weathered on the outside but otherwise they're in good condition.

So.....

1. Anything wrong with dual-glazed aluminum windows?

2. Who makes good ones? It's a simple mountain home - I don't need fancy, just well-made, functional and durable.

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fenestration

Hi Bob,
I agree with your ideas, Aluminium window doesn't mean bad. Especially in your living condition.
"Thermal Break Aluminium Window"with high quality maybe one of your reasonable option. Dual-glazed(with or without air/argon)??Functional durable effective??
Wish it could offer any help to you.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 1:28AM
desertwest

Hi Bob. I just went to the Milgard showroom and was floored to see they have an aluminum line. It's new and he says it's the most expensive they have - more than wood! He says people like it for the look, but fiberglass is the most durable. Aluminum has more issues with expansion/contraction with hot/cold temps.

BTW, if you are at high altitude you probably don't want argon. In fact, Marvin's warranty EXCLUDES "glass installed more than 5000 feet above sea level without capillary tubes." Capillary tubes would leak all the argon out so you don't want to paying for argon. I live at 7000 ft. No argon for me.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 11:37PM
windowsonwashington

Argon is denser than air and will stay in the IGU if handled properly.

You will not get the same fill rates but you will still have some benefit of it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Feedback / sanity check on Marvin & Kolbe quotes
So I got my rough quotes from a local Marvin Design...
aptosca
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™