Please Help! Faux Wainscoting (picture frame moulding)

mldaoJuly 10, 2008

I'm not sure if this will work and I've spent the last 2 days trying to Photoshop this on my PR walls using Adobe CS1. My brother installed it on my system and gave me a 60 second tour. I'm pretty computer literate but this program makes me feel like the village idiot.

I am trying to put picture frame faux wainscoting in my downstairs PR on the lower half of the walls. The design is a very simple box created by attaching four wooden boards above the baseboard and then placing a chair rail above the picture frame box. The confusing part is that this room has 5 walls of different sizes, plus a recessed area behind the sink. (Please see attached drawing). All the corners are bull nose.

I donÂt know if I should try and put the vertical boards of a box at each corner in the room (there are 9 corners) and create multiple different size boxes, or stay with a uniform spacing of the vertical boards for every box and cut/bend/attach the horizontal boards as needed to get around all of the corners. Will either or both look terrible? Is this room just a bad candidate for faux wainscoting?

I posted a while back about this same PR after it was professionally staged and I was unhappy with the outcome.

I've posted this in the home decorating forum and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

I would definitely expect there to be vertical frame members at every corner, with the size of each box varying to accommodate different wall lengths. In fact, I would expect there to be a vertical frame member on each side of each corner. The alternative of chopping up the horizontals to maintain a frame size that is unrelated to the dimensions of the room would strike me as silly. This is not wallpaper.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 6:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mldao

jon1270: Thanks for the advice. BTW I've never hung wallpaper but I think I get what you mean.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™