do I seal 2x4 in basement?

ekoreillyJuly 29, 2007

Hi! I built these shelves in my basement using some neat 2x4 plastic brackets. I have made about 48 feet worth of sotage shelves abour three shelves hi using all 2x4's.

Should I be sealing these 2x4 at all with any sealant or poly? THe basement is dry, no leaks slight dampness. none of the wood is touching the floor (used a barrier between concrete and wood.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

They'll look better and be easier to clean/dust if you coat them with polyurethane or shellac.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 8:49AM
ekoreilly

thanks, I think for looks I will polycoat them, just hated to spend another $28 bucks paying for the gallon of poly. UGH!

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 4:27PM
HandyMac

You will need to put at least two coats of poly on them---and they will need to be sanded to get rid of splinters before any finish is applied.

Primer and paint would be much more appropriate, and will last much longer than polyurethane.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 10:03PM
ekoreilly

I wish I did this BEFORE I put them up. I did sand the 2x4's though before using them to smoothen them out and remove splinters. I thought of painitng, but then when I do it woudl be harder and missed spots will show more than if I clearcoated them. I'll post a pci later of what they look like.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 4:39PM
HandyMac

Prototype. You have built a prototype, just like the pro's often do. Now you know how to do it better ---and will have that knowledge for future use.

So, don't beat yourself up over mistakes or things you should have done better----if you could have done better before---you would have.

PS---I have a lot of prototypes in my shop. Lots. :)

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 5:19PM
eal51

Don't beat yourself over the head on this one!

We've all been there, done that, and got a few t-shirts. It's called "live and learn." Look at it this way, you now have all this great storage area!

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™