What hand-hewn wood matches pine/doug fir?

fatladyJune 7, 2007

We are building a 1920's- style farmhouse, with white siding. Inside, our floors are long-leaf heartwood southern pine (stained a golden pumpkin) and our windows are Doug fir (TBD, but a something medium warm/golden/red).

We saw a beautiful hand-hewn knotty walnut door that we loved, but our architect felt walnut was too heavy/formal for this style home. I think the hand-hewn/knotty character is beautiful, but I am not sure walnut goes with our floors/windows.

Can anyone suggest a nice hand-hewn knotty wood that might match? Have you ever seen Cherry or Doug Fir hand-hewn??

(BTW, our front door is beneath an overhand and does not get much light). We are going to white-wash our cedar shingles over the garage to tie into the wood door).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmealy

Have you seen Southern Yellow Pine, SYP?

I would classify cherry as formal as walnut.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 7:18PM
edinct

If you really loved the walnut door that you saw, why not get it. It is YOUR house, not the architects, so what if he thought the door would be to formal, you are the one that will be living in the house, not him.
Do what you like and want.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 7:50AM
lakebuilder

I really don't think anything hand hewn would be formal looking. If you like the walnut, go for it. Cherry would be fine also. Any wood door that includes a few knots would certainly look somewhat rustic.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 9:28PM
Tecopa

Why not use hand hewn doug fir and pine. I just made 15 hand hewn interior doors for my "1910" house. If you like I could email photos of how they turned out. My name is Tom, tvh95608@yahoo.com. I do not represent a business.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 8:09PM
Tecopa

My doors are constructed with hand hewn doug fir rails and stiles, and cottonwood panels.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™