Anyone Familiar with Park Avenue Vinyl windows?

Hubbabubba44September 16, 2011

We are considering getting Park Avenue Vinyl replacement windows - the triple pane with Krypton gas in them. Would so appreciate anyone's help with knowing if they're a good product.

I have read elsewhere that contractor's don't like the pocket sill, even though it is a snap-on slope, but I don't really understand the reason why they don't like it.

Also, considering Gorell 5300's.

Can anyone comment?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

We don't like it because it uses the interior of the frame to drain water, pollen dirt and bugs. We also don't like weep holes because they are a conduit for air infiltration. Park Avenue is Ok but Gorell is a better window. There are just simply better built windows that offer a better value for the money.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 7:55PM
Hubbabubba44

Skydawggy - what is the preferred way for the water to get out, if there are no weep holes? Thank you for responding - it is very helpful!

What window do you like personally?

Does anyone else have anything to share on the Park Avenues?

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 11:36PM
skydawggy

If a window doesn't have a snap in sill, then it has a solid sloped sill and it drains water naturally the way a wood window does. Some of the brands I like are made by Sunrise, Okna and Soft-lite. There are other good brands, but these are solid windows with very good performance ratings.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 12:43AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

+1

Weep holes = more air infiltration and potential for water infiltration.

Go with the Gorell or look at the windows that Sky mentioned (Sunrise, Okna, Gorell, Soft-Lite).

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 10:30AM
mmarse1

A snap in sloped sill drains water conventionally like a regular slope but also through the frame whichi is a bad idea. That's why a snap in slope sill is just as bad as a pocked sill. Some salesman think a snap in sloped is just as good as a welded sloped..not true.. Again, a snap in slope does drain conventionally but also through the frame..it's just a bad/ cheap design.
You want a true welded sloped sill. Okna, Polaris, gorell, and Sunrise offer true welded sloped sills.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
please help with choice of replacement window
hello everyone....I need some help deciding on which...
balboa64
Pella Slider
We have a Pella slider that was installed in early...
hopesprings_gw
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™