Help hanging small cupboard

rrs626June 17, 2010

I have a small 15"w x 22"h x 7"d cupboard I would like to hang. I had it hung in our previous home with molly bolts but it was a bear to hang. Is there an easier way??? What about those interlocking metal strips -- I don't know what they are called. Can anyone help me out on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Being 15" wide, it's probable that it will sit over a stud (16" on center). Screw through the back into the stud in several places.

The metal strips sound like a manufactured version of a French cleat. You are only going to hit at most one stud, so you will need some other sort of arrangement such as a molly for the one(s) that miss studs.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 9:29PM
HandyMac

I've hung cabinets similar to that by centering the cabinet on a stud and using screws in the top and bottom mounting strips of the cabinet.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 11:43PM
rrs626

The location where I'm hoping to hang the cupboard is a small area and I might not find a stud there. I guess I'll just use the toggle bolts again. Last time I had such a time hanging it because I had to prop the cupboard up with on a ladder to keep it in place while working. Any tips on how to do that?

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™