How much room is there for negotiating?

peace_roseSeptember 18, 2009

We just got a bid from a company for some Marvin windows. It will be in the thousands, so I'm just wondering what the etiquette is. Is it customary for the customer to ask for a percentage off? We had a bid from another Marvin vendor that was about 5% less (apples to apples), but we like our guy better.

I feel a little embarrassed to ask this because I certainly want to make sure that the salesman gets a fair commission. But I don't really know what's common practice. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spup345

Does the salesman pay your bills or do you? The buyer is in control. If you got a 5% less, then he needs to at the very least match that. Common practice....this isn't like tipping at a restaurant, the common practice is for the buyer to get the price they feel comfortable paying and if you already know you have 5% less, then I don't see why you should settle for higher than that.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 5:35PM
peace_rose

Point well taken! Any tips for how to proceed?

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 5:47PM
lakeyjim

Open up your mouth and say, I have a lower price on the same windows from XXX. Will you do better? Remember, this guy is a salesman. They are easilly offended.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 2:07PM
spup345

If you have someone close to you, it may even help to role play ahead of time (other person pretends to be a salesperson) if you are uncomfortable in negotiations or consider yourself to be a "pushover" to say it frankly.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Installation of Steel Front Entry Door + Sidelites - 1 Man or 2?
Hello, everyone, I have posted here a few times about...
sahmmy_gw
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™