15 or 20 amp receptacles?

footwedgeApril 9, 2011

Is it common practice to install 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Yes.
As long as there is more the one outlet on a branch circuit 15 amp devices are allowed on 20 amp circuits.

If you had a single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit (and no other outlets) it would need to be 20 amps.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 11:33AM
fixizin

That's some amusing side-stepping in the NEC... I smell lobbyists, lol.

To be clear though, ALL the conductors on that 20A branch would need to be AWG12 (if Cu) or larger, right? You can't have, say, 12 ga. from breaker to first box w/ 20A rated receptacle, then AWG14 from there to a ceiling fan, right?

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 12:15AM
Ron Natalie

No lobbying involved, just basic practicality. You are correct in that you can't have lower ampacity wire on the circuit than the OCD (in the typical case). However, 15A receptacles are rated to be on 20A circuits.

The rule is that if you have ONE receptacle on a circuit, the pin configuration must match the OCD. A 30A breaker must have a 30 A receptacle (can't have a larger or smaller.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 9:02AM
Billl

Just a note on the reasoning.

If you have a "normal" branch circuit with multiple outlets, you can use the 15A receptacle. This is the majority of the wiring you'll find in a home. Basically, when you have multiple receptacles with a total load of less than 20A, no single receptacle is going to require more than 15A.

If you have a dedicated circuit where there is only going to be 1 receptacle, then you need to use 20A. The appliance (or whatever 1 item) needs 20A available, so it all has to be able to flow through that receptacle.

No matter what, the wires need to be able to carry the full 20A safely.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™