is vinyl window installed in old frame?

redseaSeptember 21, 2009

I read in an article on Checkbook site that a replacement vinyl window MUST be installed inside the old frame, rather than ripping out the old frame completely. Anybody has experience with this? I am considering American Craftsman 9500 special order to replace my old twin aluminum window. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
awsdan

Aluminum windows with a flange behind siding/brick/trim should be removed completely if possible. My first choice would be to install a good window sized to fit the same opening and use a nailing fin to install. Back caulk the nailing fin, insulate, tape over the fin and use flashing in accordance with current new construction guidelines.

Don't settle for a "snap-on nail fin" or something screwed on to make an easy installation. Custom size windows with nailing fins are readily available from quality suppliers.

There is no one simple rule to replacing windows. The only rule to follow is do it correctly regardless of how much extra time it takes vs. the quickest or easiest way. Choose your advice on products and choose your installer using this rule and you will be happy with the end result.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™