using a two pole switch in a split light circuit

uniflowApril 8, 2011

Greetings everyone, my thanks in advance for your help. I plan to pull a four wire 240V service to my out building. There are ten identical fluorescent lights that I want to come on at the same time but as two separate circuits.

To balance the load between phases could I run the two legs of a two pole breaker to a two pole switch and then go off the switch to five lights on one side and five on the other? Am I correct that this would effectively cancel netural current so I could combine neutrals and run one white wire back to the sub panel unbonded neutral bar? I have researched multi-wiring receptacles and this seems to fall into that realm.

Thank you again, Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"To balance the load between phases..."

You most likely have a single phase 120/240 V service.
It is not a separate phase.

'Balancing' between the legs, especially for small loads is not all that useful.

If you really want to make things more complicated than needed you could use a multi-wire branch circuit with a two pole switch controlling the two legs to switch the circuit.

Make sure you use a two pole breaker (required in a case like this even under the old code rules).

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 11:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dennisgli

I'm probably missing why you don't want somebody to turn on half the lights? So just having two switches mounted in a double box seems much simpler.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™