Wall jack misbehaving with new wireless house phone

mylanApril 13, 2013

Some time ago, I had a 2-line phone jack with a 2-line phone in my den. Stopped using the second line in there and purchased a single line phone. The jack worked fine. Just purchased a new phone with additional wireless handsets. In the den when the phone rang and answered, I heard the beeping of a fax which is my second line - this phone only required a wall outlet with the jack. When I put the old phone back and used the necessary jack, it was fine. I want to use my new phone - how do I do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Radio Snack and the home centers will sell you a little adapter that will split the two lines into their own single jack to cut off this apparent interference.

The other option is to carefully remove the jack from the wall and remove the second line from it. This is typically the yellow/black pair if you have red/green/yellow/black wiring or the orange and white pair if you have cat5-style wiring. In any event it will be the outer two of the four pins of the connector (the center two are the first line).

Here is a link that might be useful: two line phone adapter

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mylan

Thank you SO much - I found an adapter, plugged in my own phone which worked then took out the jack but left the adapter in the wall and the new phone works like a charm - I appreciate your help!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™