How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???

mcookJune 16, 2006

We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red mahagony color, & given the fact that cherry will darken in its color over time....

1. How dark will it get? Or does it bring out more redness instead of the 'darkness' (I guess I'm thinking of black or something)?

2. How long does it take for cherry to reach it's "max" color?

3. In my case, should I stain a little lighter than the color we desire?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee

Cherry will become pretty dark brown/red. Don't know the time limit.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 9:46PM
Mark__M

Given enough time cherry will turn a copper red color. This will accelerate if the wood is exposed to direct sunlight. Depending on the stain that you use you might not be able to notice the darkening. I would recommend that you don't attempt to allow for darkening. Pick a color that you like today, and you probably will not notice a change in the future. I have included a link that shows unfinished cherry with a stain. I cannot discern any darkening on the piece after more than a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Finished/Unfinished

Bookmark   June 17, 2006 at 12:20AM
hmshannon

I use a lot of "Cherry " wood in building furniture, I always use "Analine Dye" to color it with because I can shade it any shade I want,then seal it with Lacquer Sanding sealer,sandit down and put what ever finish I desire, Usually two cotes of clear lacquer
Houston

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 8:58PM
brickeyee

"Given enough time cherry will turn a copper red color. "

It rarely gets anything nearly as dark as the STAIN in the link posted. No natural aged cherry was shown.
A sort of medium brown with definite reddish tones.
Most of the deep wine red cherry is from aniline dye.
The shade was popular a long time ago on many woods tha required pore fililng and was carried over to cherry.
The burgnudy/red color was often from the paste filler used on the pores to produce a smooth finish. Not really requried on cherry, but needed on other woods. It set a 'standard' for what color high end furniture should be and has been carried forward ever since.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 9:19PM
tnhoghead

We just built our vanities with cherry and finished natural. First we used a sealer then two coats of catalized lacquer. When they were first installed I thought they looked awful but they change so fast you can almost see the difference from day to day and now at about 6 to 8 weeks they are now a nice red natural finish. I would not use any stain at all.

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 9:31PM
natal

Mark, which Old Master's color is that?

Anyone use the Deep Red gel stains from Old Master, specifically the Crimson Fire?

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 4:21PM
tracy0john

Our natural cherry wood after 13 years in direct sunlight. We feel it's turned orange.

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
africanboy
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™