Why GE silicone at all?

redpandasmomSeptember 13, 2008

I keep reading posts about the GE silicone being old, not drying properly, etc. Why not just use thinset for all outdoor projects and not take a chance of having to redo a piece? I haven't used the thinset yet, but it looks easy enough for a beginner. Thanks for the info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gretch1964

Some of the outside projects we don't grout and we don't want the glue to be seen. That is why i use it in clear. Other then that i use thinset.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 8:19AM
nicethyme

I think there is still a use for silicone outside for when your substrate in less porous. My first bowling ball - I did with thinset and it fell off after a year, my 2nd with GEII and its fine after 2 years outside. I suspect that silicone can allow for slight expansion/shrink and absorbn it where as thinset cannot and may crack.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 10:07AM
curbdiver1954

Many times I work in short spurts of time, not the best situation for using thinset since it may be several days between opportunities. I can recap the GEII, but end up wasting thinset under those circumstances. For some reason it also isn't as messy (at least in my mind). Of course, I can boil water and get every pan in the kitchen dirty, too. lol!!

Pat

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 10:30AM
Calamity_J

Yup, I use it cuz it's faster, just pop off the cap, and I use it for my GOG windows. Thinset is right up there too, I mix it in little yogurt containers(1 serving) and that works out great too. I used silicone for my frogs feet to adhere them, and did it cuz I was lazy and doesn't it figure I was delivering him to his new owners, and cracked it where his feet are attached!! so now I have to tear off his feet and remove the silicone and mortar the feet on...PITA!!!! (My project for today!)

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Sponsored Products
Korver Leather Loveseat - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
At Home Designs Uptown Ottoman
$299.00 | LuxeDecor
Peri Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Lime Glass
$360.00 | Bellacor
Copeland Furniture | Monterey Bed with Upholstered Panel, Queen
YLiving.com
LZF | Spiro 29.5in Suspension Light
YLighting