Removing Oil Stain From Wood Tabletop

totallyconfusedJune 23, 2010

Hello everyone. I posted this on the furniture forum, but thought I might try here as well. My sister was visiting recently and she put several scratches in my new coffee table by sliding a box across it. I had read somewhere recently that walnut meat could be used to hide minor scratches so, silly me, I decided to try it. Not only did it not cover the scratches, it left an oily residue everywhere I rubbed it. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the oily streaks, or at least blend them in? I've been thinking of getting some orange oil or similar furniture polish and coating the entire tabletop with it, but I'm hesistant to do anything else without some guidance for fear of making the problem worse. BTW, I don't have any idea what the finish is. The table is Tango by Ethan Allen if anyone is familiar with it.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Totally Confused

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Paint thinner and a lot of paper towels.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:46PM
totallyconfused

Thanks for what sounds like a helpful suggestion. Will paint thinner damage the original finish? I don't want to make things worse than they already are.

Totally Confused

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 9:58AM
bobismyuncle

Mineral spirits (paint thinner) is safe for almost all finishes. Lacquers and shellac need a stronger solvent, and varnishes and oil finishes have chemically polymerized and are not affected by the thinner, which even is liquid form is a "thinner" and not a "solvent."

The only thing I've seen OMS ever not do well on is some cheap Asian "rustic" furniture that seemed to be finished with thinned down roofing tar that was mopped on.

But to be sure, test rub on the back or underside before starting out front and center.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™