island - paint or stain?

psue_2007June 30, 2008

We're remodeling our kitchen. Our cabinets will be stained a dark walnut. We have gray Silestone countertop with flecks of cream, black, & orangey-tan/brown. The island is new wood. I bought paint for the island - a cream color & planned to highlight with taupe in the crevises. Now my thinking is: to have a finish that is different from the cabinets is really trendy now. That's means it is not a classic look, and trendy now means out of style in a few years. This remodel is going to have to last us. What's your opinion? Stain the island to match the cabinets or paint cream color? Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

It's easier to stain & finish, then paint, then return to stain than it is to paint then stain & finish.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 6:42PM
jbranch

I think that is a matter of personal preference. I would probably stain it.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 7:47AM
skanman14

staining I think would give you more of a classic look, but there are some fun and modern things you can do with it as well, try contrasting dark and light colors of stain for example a red mahogony with an ipswitch pine and a layer of polyurethane on top would be bold modern and classic at the same time, if you eer wanted to repaint the kitchen you could change them to just about anything and not have to worry about changing the wood

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™