Mix and Match Marvin Ultimates with Integrity?

DallasAuburnSeptember 16, 2010

We are considering putting Alum clad Ultimates on the front of the house, and fiberglass on the remainder. Has anyone done this or could comment on the relative look of the two?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Wood-Ultrex or all-Ultrex?

Both the Integrity DH and the Ultimate DH windows need a projecting sub-sill added to avoid water intrusion problems since neither has a proper drip at the nose of the sill. That is more expensive but it allows the sub-sill to extend to the sides below the bottom of the jamb trim so it looks like a traditional DH window instead of a developer short cut.

The interior jambs will look different and that will be more noticeable than the exterior.

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 10:26PM
DallasAuburn

macv -- thanks for your response -- wood-ultrex.

I thought I had done a lot of research on these windows, but I haven't seen this issue with the sub-sill to be concerned about. Aaarugh. So, what do I need to have added to the DHs? I have mostly casements, only 5 DHs that are not covered by a porch.

I'm not mixing any of the Ultimates/Ultrex in the same room, so I hope I'm mitigating the impact. Perhaps I should just nix the mixing of the two. I can't decided. We are at the top of the budget and don't have wiggle.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 10:19AM
DallasAuburn

... just got back from visiting the Marvin showroom. The Wood-Ultrex cannot be configured to have a sub-sill. The clad units have brickmold, which includes a subsill. RE: water intrusion -- is the problem water getting behind the wall, or rotting the window? Obviously, the Wood-ultrex will not rot. All of my windows that are DH are Wood-ultrex.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 1:21PM
DallasAuburn

And for those of you considering mixing and matching these two lines, I found them to be VERY similar on the interior and the exterior. I put an ultimate casement next to a wood ultrex and could not tell the difference from the interior. The SDLs looked exactly the same. The casing on the ultimate had more detail and was more rounded and refined looking, whereas the ultrex had a little more square sticking, but I would not be able to tell unless I knew what to look for. On the exterior, the clad is a metal, of course, and therefore a little more reflective than the ultrex. I would not mix the two on the same plane of the house for that reason. But the color was indistinguishable minus the reflectivity difference. I was primarily comparing the casement windows. A little info on the hung windows -- the ultrex has a different locking mechanism than the ultimate that is more obtrusive. Also, you can see the channel that the window moves in when being raised (forgive me for not knowing the terminology) on the ultrex, whereas the channel is not visible (or a different technology) used in the ultimate. I would say the differences on the interior are more obvious for hung versus casement windows.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 5:32PM
hello8

I will have an Ultimate casement with an Integrity sliding french door - both opening onto a back deck. The colors on the outside of each will be slightly different, but I don't think it will be a problem since they will be on different walls. If it is a problem, the Integrity can be painted to match the Ultimate window.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Need help. Looking for window expert consultant in Minneapolis
We had our windows replaced (full replacement) and...
judyrk
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Help with hanging blinds
In our new build there is not enough room on our double...
zorroslw1
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Sponsored Products
Fortune Teller Wall Sconce by Global Views
$422.50 | Lumens
Bohemian Blooms Giclee Kiss Table Lamp
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Christopher Kashan Hand-tufted Light Blue Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Fitzgerald Sectional - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Runner: Candice Olson Dove Gray 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
DeLonghi Gelato Maker
$299.95 | FRONTGATE
Eiffel Arm Chair in Red
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
Ape Bowl for Mixed Nuts by Alessi
$59.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for: