Cooktop cord behind wall oven?

jkuns7tyApril 26, 2013

We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel. Halfway through, the plan got changed from a slide-in range to a wall oven with a cooktop over it. Unfortunately, the wiring was mostly complete at that point, and the outlet for the cooktop was added in a rush and in a poor location.

The outlet is located behind the wall oven. As I understand it, there will only be a 1/2" gap behind the wall oven where the cooktop cord will have to run. Is this okay, or do we need to have the cooktop outlet moved? Will it get too hot behind the wall oven for a standard cord? We aren't excited by the idea of having to pull down drywall, splice in more wire, and move it. However, we definitely want it to be safe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

The cooktop installation instructions will tell you where the outlet can be located. You may be able to down load them from the internet.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:43AM
Ron Natalie

Are we taking about a receptacle or just a place where the tie into hardwiring is taking place? In either case, it's probably not technically illegal to have to move an unrelated appliance to get to the junction, though it can be inconvenient.

Most ovens don't have any restriction on wiring or other combustible materials behind them, but you should confirm that with the installation instructions.

How much room the wiring is going to take up depends on whether we're talking an actual plug (which tends to be larger) or just having to route the whip from the appliance to the actual box.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:47AM
jkuns7ty

The appliance has a right angle plug, so will technically fit in the 1/2" gap behind the wall oven. I just wasn't sure it was safe to have it essentially touching the back of the oven.

The instructions suggest having the outlet in an adjacent cabinet, but as I mentioned, the outlet is already installed, and I'm just trying to determine if it has to be moved (which would involve removal of drywall, splicing more wire, etc.).

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:11PM
jkuns7ty

The appliance has a right angle plug, so will technically fit in the 1/2" gap behind the wall oven. I just wasn't sure it was safe to have it essentially touching the back of the oven.

The instructions suggest having the outlet in an adjacent cabinet, but as I mentioned, the outlet is already installed, and I'm just trying to determine if it has to be moved (which would involve removal of drywall, splicing more wire, etc.).

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:31PM
brickeyee

Recess the plug into the wall further.

No one is going to see the oversize hole in the drywall back there.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™