Finishing wood on al-clad doors..know what your getting in to.

dwpcSeptember 1, 2009

We have a new 10-foot Jeldwen al-clad slider; 4 panels with nine-light style grids. We love the door...BUT. Finishing the interior pine has been a monumental and tedious task. And I've got considerable experience finishing wood. First, the masking of the miles of edges and weatherstripping took half a day. Then, even though Jeldwen used mostly straight-grained pieces, its pine and just doesn't take a stain well even when conditioner is used. The other obstacle was the Cabot water-based poly finish recommended by our installer. Never again! After full two coats with a quality brush, its still splotchy and uneven and requires at least two more to get a good deep gloss. I've seen better coverage from shellac. I'm certain that two coats of honest-to-gosh varnish would have covered it well. I've already put two weekends into finishing the new door. If I was doing it over, I'd buy a pre-finished door or at least one with hardwood veneer interior that stains evenly. If you plan to finish a pine interior, be wary of using a conditioner for the stain even though its recommended for pine. Once it dries (fast!!), the wood won't absorb further stain. And I'll never use water-based poly again. It may be more forgiving, but it doesn't flow and cover like varnish. I'd also do the finishing BEFORE installation so all wood surfaces are 100% accessible without taking the door(s) out of the track again.

More Discussions
please help with choice of replacement window
hello everyone....I need some help deciding on which...
balboa64
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™