1970's trim, re-finsh or replace?

rmklemanJune 22, 2008

Hello, i just purchased my first house built in 1969. The styling has not been updated at all and i want to tackle one room at a time. First the living room and the master bedroom. I was just curious if there is any way i can save the old trim by stripping or sanding it and re staining it? I am going to re do the ceilings with knock down texture as well as re paint the walls and install new carpet. So im not too worried about getting anything else messy as i am going to replace it or re paint it anyway. Please let me know what i can do! Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

We just did that to the base molding in the 1965 house we bought. All the doors/trim/cabinets were custom made and matching.

Carefully removed base molding/door trim---pulling the nails out the back side to avoid splintering the face of the molding. Sanded it to remove the old finish and sand out some of the bigger dents/scratches/etc. Then restained with the original color---we have the advantage of knowing the original owner.

Finished it all with Sherwin Williams oil based varnish and reinstalled.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 11:50PM
bobismyuncle

If the moldings are fairly pedestrian, painted, and/or extremely damaged, it's usually cost-effective to just replace it rather than stripping, sanding, staining and refinishing.

If you do decide to pull it off and re-apply, pull the nails out through the back to prevent damage on the front due to fillers and chipping.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 4:07PM
lily1960

You didn't say whether you wanted to preserve the 1969 look or if you wanted to update the look of the interior of the home. I don't know about you but me personally I would want to give new to the place with new molding/trim pieces. If you aren't sure purchase or ask for sample pieces that you can take home, put up and then decide what look is the one that best fits your design needs.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
Sponsored Products
Tender Shoots Bold Stripe Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Pocket Polished Nickel Four-Light Bath Light
$219.00 | Bellacor
Couristan Moonwalk Stonewall Rug - 40400002018037T
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Urban Abstract Multi 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Red 16-Oz. Pocket Bottle & Brush - Set of Two
$6.99 | zulily