vinyl windows--do they last?

kristinekrSeptember 18, 2010

Hello,

We are looking to replace some casement windows.

We have gotten bids for Pella encompass (which got a good Consumer Reports review), renewal andersen, Harvey vinyl, and a local vinyl window company that has been around for years and has a good reputation.

The renewal andersen salesperson made a good pitch that the fibrex used in their windows is superior to the vinyl.

Does anyone have any info on that?

Also, does anyone have experience with the vinyl pellas or harveys.

Should the vinyl windows last for at least 10 or 15 years? If not, what type of material (and brand) should we consider?

thanks so much! price is a factor, but if we are going to have to replace the replacement vinyl windows in just 5 years or so, it would make more sense to spend more money now and get something that will last!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Forget Consumer Reports, they are not a good judge of windows period. Search Pella on this site and you will find very unflattering things about them in general and I would steer clear of anything with their name on it. Renewal by Andersen is very overrated and they use high pressure sales tactics which many including myself cannot stand.Although I believe fiberglass windows are good and durable depending on the brand. Yes a quality vinyl window will definitely last 15 years without any issues as long as they are a quality window and if not more importantly the installation is proper and correct!!!

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 2:12PM
windowsonwashington

15 years is where the bidding starts for good vinyl. I have no doubt that very good vinyl windows will last every bit of 25-30 years.

Fiberglass is also a very good option.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 5:14PM
kristinekr

thank you very much for your replies.

Does anyone have experience with harvey vinyl?

Also, any opinions on sliding (also called rolling or gliding) windows? We are considering replacing the casements with the sliding windows due to the lower price. We rarely open the windows, so don't really care what the opening mechanism is, although the sliding windows I looked at opened so much easier than the casement. The sliding windows do meet the requirment for the tax credit, although i have read that the sliding windows are less energy efficient than the casements.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:07PM
skydawggy

Sliders have higher air infiltration rates than casements. In fact, casements have the lowest air infiltration ratings of any operable window.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™