Backboard for bookcase

momb57June 23, 2012

I have been assembling bookcases to use as a base. I then connect and add wood trim. I am not happy with the "backboard that came with these shelving units. It is cardboard laminate that has been folded,creased and with perforations for cords - ugly. I want to add a wood grain material And then custom stain to match the finish and wood trim. But need something thin it needs to cover a 30" x 70" area. What is the best material to use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Thinner plywood usually does well.

The veneer appearance is often not that critical since the books block most of the visibility, but Constantin's sells large pieces of pressure sensitive wood veneer if you need to match something up (and are willing to pay).

It can take some experimenting to get a finish that matches close enough ion color, but between pigment stains and aniline dye you can make the general color match usually, if not the figure of the wood.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 11:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Thin plywood. You can usually find 1/4" rotary saw red oak at your local big box store. If you want anything else, you'll need a specialty wood supplier.

Then stain/finish it to match the rest of the bookcase.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™