Tuteur Help

lamaluJune 30, 2008

Hi all. I built my first tuteur over the weekend and while I'm pretty happy with it I did have a problem tapering the boards at the top so they meet cleanly. Does anyone have tips on how to do this? I used 1x3's, 81" long. I knew how far apart the legs would be splayed and I used a 4" by 4" block as a spacer at the top so I couls have a little platform for a finial or whatever. Somwhow I ended up with a bigger gap than I wanted. I cut away too much material. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

You haven't provided enough information. Is this a layout/geometry problem (you don't have a clear grasp of the shape you're trying to cut the wood to) or is it a question about how to cut a shape that you've already clarified?

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:05PM
bobismyuncle

Of course, you could use a bit of trigonometry to figure out your angles, but then how are you going to set 5.34 degrees?

I imagine the old timers would either use a framing square for simple proportions or just lay it up there and mark it off from the wood itself.

Though I'm capable of the trig and can set angles like this using the same, I'd do the latter.

Unless you've mis-spelled what you really built, then I have no idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 8:44PM
lamalu

That's it! Mine looks a little different because I used recycled wood. I tried to mark the pieces off like you suggest and ended up cutting away too much material. Now I'm thinking that if I had divided the amount to cut by 2 and then cut each piece it would have been right. What I had marked only would have worked if I was cutting one side and leaving the other. Does that make sense?
I have looked at several plans for building these and when it comes to tapering the top the directions always say, 'taper the top', they never tell you how! I am going to use scrap wood to play around with this until I get it. I really would like to make one for the bf's yard.
Thank you!

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Need help matching wood stain color
The molding in our kitchen was not completed when we...
candeelyn
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
Sponsored Products
LA Baby Cocoon Changing Pad - 3400-30Q
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Small Border Runner 2'6" x 10'
$899.00 | Horchow
'Enjoy the Ride' Box Sign
$8.99 | zulily
Dazzle Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Jumbo Ravioli Press
$14.99 | zulily
Makam Oushak Rug 4' x 6' - LIGHT BLUE/RUST
$1,339.00 | Horchow
Furniture of America Willow Flannelette Recliner - IDF-RC6929BR
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Jeco Tree Trunk and Urns Indoor / Outdoor Water Fountain with LED Light - FCL097
$239.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™