staining white oak to look like red

jgustafsonJune 6, 2007

Hi All,

We have old darkly stained red oak trim in our house (home built in 1903 - original trim) and have had picture rail made to replace the picture rail that used to be in the dining room. The problem: the new trim is white oak. I have tried many different combibations of stain and can't seem to come up with anything that comes close to matching. Any suggestions - please help

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmealy

Really not enough information to go on here. Color, whether the wood was quartersawn or not, what's happened in the last 104 years can all effect.

Given the age, wood, and the fact that it's a picture rail, I'm assuming it's a Mission / Craftsman finish. See the link for some ideas and possible colors.

General Finishes' Java gel stain is also a good choice for a one-can mission finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Finish

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 12:36PM
brickeyee

Try aniline dye.
You can buy the base colors and mix it to get just about whatever you want.
Mosers is one vendor.
Woodcraft Supply is one source.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 6:35PM
the_roaming_gnome

hate to say it man- but there is no magic bullet here. Im a professional furniture maker and all i can say is you have to experiment. minwax makes a stain designed to make white oak look like red oak- but this will not work in your case because the the red oak you already have has been stained. are you certain that it is red oak? in older homes white oak is much more prevalant than red oak.

just remember- as you experiment - write down your methods so that you can repeat what you do when you find the right color.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™