If my cheap original builder shutters keep flying off...

artnjSeptember 19, 2011

Does that mean there is something wrong with the hole that was drilled in our exterior?

I just want to buy better quality replacement vinyle shutters, and see several places to do so on the web, but I dont know about the mounting issue. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

They probably used a bit that was too large. Get new spikes and see if they bite better.

How old is the home?

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 11:23AM
brickeyee

"Does that mean there is something wrong with the hole that was drilled in our exterior? "

What is the exterior?

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 2:51PM
artnj

10-12 year old home, brick exterior. Shutters flew off in a windstorm last year and hurricane this year, neither had much over 80 mph gusts by the time it reached us, before that they were fine. Shutters are very thin vinyl (1/8th inch) (one actually ripped when it came off), so maybe the homebuilder probably took some shortcuts. Then again the shutters were fine for 10 years or so. Anyway, I now gather that redrilling the holes isnt that big a deal as long as you dont drill too big?

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 5:14PM
skydawggy

I'd get some mortar and fill the holes. Then re-drill them.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 5:39PM
windowsonwashington

They are probably attached via the plastic spikes. The spikes, while the easiest to use, are the most sensitive to hole size. Drill them too small, you can't drive the spike without breaking it. Too large, they don't grab very well.

If you are feeling industrious, you can either off set the holes you drill and use new holes, go to a larger spike, you ditch the spike altogether and either mount them directly to the brick via a concrete fastening screw/anchor or bolt up some cellular PVC to the brick and screw the shutter into that.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™