Brosco-type windows outside New England

LongpunterSeptember 30, 2013

I am considering replacing the original wood windows in my 1930's colonial in the Virginia/DC area. The problem is mainly extensive failing glazing putty and paint, and failing 1950's era aluminum triple track storms. Costs for refurbishing and restoration wood windows in this area is comparable to high end window replacement, and I would still need to put on a storm window, which I find unacceptable after spending all the money on refurbishment.

I am very interested in very traditional wood windows like the single glaze true divided light, putty glazed windows from Brosco, with a low e "energy panel". These seem relatively cheep and plentiful in New England, but there is no dealer in the DC area (closest in NJ). Also, they seem to come in only standard sizes that are (apparently) very standard in New England, but that may probably not fit my jams well. The Brosco dealer price sheet is available online and shows the standard sizes, but measurements are hard to understand. I could conceivably buy these up north and ship them down, but I would not get any support from Brosco or any installer very familiar with the product.

I've also considered replacing with high end vinyl (Okna/HiMark 800) and high end fiberglass (Marvin Infinty). These are pretty good, but will still change the look and feel of the house, and with the costs of add-ons like non-white interior/exterior and grids, I could end up paying a lot for something unsatisfying.

Anyhow, anyone have any suggestions or advise re. Brosco-type window replacements outside of the Brosco dealer area?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Marvin and Kolbe make wood double hungs like your looking for and if they are too expensive you may look into LePage as they make a decent wood window that should be a lower price point.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:20AM
Longpunter

Thanks, I was not aware of LePage and they seem just about right.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 12:26PM
millworkman

Pretty decent product, not in the same class as Marvin or Kolbe but much better than the run of the mill wood junk. Let me know via my email at the top of the page if you need a dealer and I can see what I can do to find you one as I know the rep.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 3:58PM
millworkman

duplicate post

This post was edited by millworkman on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 20:41

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Laurel Wittman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™