Existing Conduit

tnowickApril 28, 2012

I have 2" grey pvc conduit running from my basement underneath a patio and terminating vertically from the ground a few feet past the edge of the patio (in the dirt). I want to install an outlet on the stone wall at the edge of this patio. I do not know how to properly return the wire from that open 2" vertical conduit back to the wall a few feet away. I assume I need a junction box on the existing conduit, but can't find one with a 2" inlet. I would like to keep the connections buried if possible, return with a smaller conduit to the wall and up to a mounted outlet box (weatherproof). Any suggestions about how to manage the conduit connections from the vertical pipe?

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spencer_electrician

Can't bury it with connections in it. I would continue the 2 inch conduit to a hopefully nearby discrete place and place a junction box there so that you can sprawl off to other places in the future from it. Then pipe some 3/4" from it for your 1st outlet box. You'll have to get a PVC enclosure box and drill your own holes for the pipe connectors. Make sure you use THWN individual conductors or perhaps UF (outdoor romex) cable. If you use individual conductors, you'll need a junction where it stubs into the house to change back to whatever wiring method you're using inside the house.

Or the most basic answer if you have no desire to ever use the capacity of the 2" conduit again. Use reducers to get it down to 1" pvc, then just pipe 1" PVC to your new outlet. My 1st option is allowing for future circuits to take advantage of the run to the house.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
kudzu9
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Sponsored Products
Eastwood L-Sectional (4 piece) - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Upton Home Lawson Computer Desk
Overstock.com
Gray Acanthus Drum Lamp Shade 15x16x11 (Spider)
$29.98 | Lamps Plus
Kichler Gate House Landscape Path Light
Lamps Plus
White Fan Wall Control with Reverse
$128.00 | Bellacor
American Drew Cherry Grove Pedestal Dining Table in Antique Cherry
Beyond Stores
Yellow Trumpet Doorbell Ringer - Polished Brass
Signature Hardware
Viscose Solid Area Rug
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for: