Casement Windows

dduboSeptember 18, 2010

We are looking at purchasing a specific house that has Pella Casement windows installed. These windows permit the removal of the inner pane of glass for cleaning. This implies the windows are not sealed, so how do they perform as double-pane windows in the winter? We are in Ontario, so the winters can be tough on the heating bill. Does anyone have any experience with these types of windows?

Doug

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

That window is more likely their "Designer" Series window. It is a sealed double pane unit with a removable inner panel.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 7:46AM
ddubo

Thanks. The Pella Designer Series have three panes of glass and the inner pane is removable, leaving the other two to act like a normal double pane window. The windows I am referring to only have two panes of glass, with the inner pane being removable. How well would such windows perform in winter?

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 6:25PM
skydawggy

They will perform as well as a single pane window with a storm window. You don't have the benfit of argon gas or likely low E coatings.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 8:00PM
macv

That's essentially correct but an "energy panel" configuration is usually rated somewhere between insulated glass and single pane with a separate operable storm window. This system usually works better when the panel is applied on the outside in terms of condensation which is only an issue in very cold climates.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Sunrise or Thermal windows and doors
I'm trying to decide between Sunrise windows and Thermal...
craig4536
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™