Painted cabinetry

blackchamoisMay 20, 2012

I am trying to select a white paint for my custom kitchen cabinets. I feel that the standard "white" offered by my cabinet guy is a bit too stark.

I am trying to decide upon a softer white, however, regardless of the color I choose, my cabinet guy says it will change color when he adds the laquer to it.

1) Is there always laquer applied? Either mixed in, or as a top coat?

2) How do I account for this color change in order to achieve my desired color in the end result?

Any advice or insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Using lacquer on kitchen cabinets has always been a mystery to me, except for how easy it is to apply and how fast it dries.

Pre-cat lacquer is more resistant to water damage than regular lacquers or non-cat.

Water based varnish will not add any tint, protects very well, and some brands can be recoated in as short a time as 2 hours(Sherwin Williams is one of those)

A much better long term finish(although much more difficult to apply is alkyd enamel. Two coats of that and water will never degrade the surface.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:57AM
bobismyuncle

Well, that explains it:
Using lacquer on kitchen cabinets has always been a mystery to me, except for how easy it is to apply and how fast it dries.
---
Brushing on an oil-based paint and putting it in a clean area for several hours is just way too slow and labor intensive for a production shop.

Most kitchens now have pre-cat lacquer. What you want to look for is a finish that is KCMA certified, q.v.

Most of the "white" kitchens I see have a base coat of white lacquer, a glaze, and a top sealer coat of clear lacquer. The top sealer can be "water white," i.e., colorless, not amber. However, be aware that damage to a glazed finish is difficult to repair in a spot.

Q: 2) How do I account for this color change in order to achieve my desired color in the end result?
A: The only way to tell is to have your finish guy / cabinet maker show you samples of the finish schedule(s), start to finish.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 6:17PM
mary_ruth

Would a Waterlox application for last coat of protection change the color of white cabinets? Would it cause an Amber film?

I want to top coat cabinet doors painted white.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 5:00PM
HandyMac

If it is oil based, it will amber.

Almost all oil based finishes add an amber tine/tint.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 8:36PM
mary_ruth

Thank you for the reply handymac, so I will have to go clear lacquer, this should keep white.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:33PM
blackchamois

Thank you all. I will review this information with my cabinet guy.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 6:34PM
mary_ruth

I went out today, bought stain, not water based and Lacquer. I am happy with the Rustolium Sunbleached gray stain color. I bring it to my daughter's tomorrow to see if she likes the driftwood looking light gray it came out. She liked the photo I sent her but she needs to see it IRL. I will have to find a way to post pictures on here.

I am glad I found this board, what you wrote here saved me some extra work!

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Fence construction & what to use for finish
My fence is coming along nicely! Started last fall...
kashka_kat
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™