Restoring mahogany trim

Fori is not pleasedMay 24, 2011

Hi!

I've just moved into a midcentury home with mahogany trim throughout. The trim (and matching veneered doors) looks cruddy, kind of like it's full of old wax or stripped paint. It's not from sun (it looks just as bad inside closets) and not from paint. I'm not sure how to approach it, but it's icky. It was suggested in the old house forum to clean it with TSP or mineral spirits and then shellac. Mineral spirits didn't do much. I don't see any sort of varnish or shellac on it--it just seems to be naked. I can't get it presentable enough to shellac.

Any other suggestions on how to restore the nice rich (and yes, orange!) look to this wood? It's so close to being pretty but it's not:

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

There is some kind of finish on the trim. May be varnish. Varnish will not be touched by thinners. And thinner is not good for dirt.

Only way to get what you want is to remove the trim, strip and sand, add what ever colorants(dye or stain), and finish with varnish.

Why varnish? It will last the longest, be the easiest to clean or repair, and is much easier to apply than shellac.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Thanks, HM. It seems to be coming off with denatured alcohol, although I'm sure there will be spots that have been touched up with strange things.

I'll have to work with it in place, though. Some of it is stuck into the walls somewhat as it's been there for a while! And I'd never be able to get it back on as perfectly as the original installer.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™