Our doors are shellaced together- help!

fausonkMay 6, 2008

We bought really nice fir doors, and my husband experimented with dye-shellac mixes to get the right color for them. He bought a high-quality spray gun to get a nice even finish without brush strokes. He sprayed one side of the doors and they looked fabulous. He let them dry for a while in the back yard, then because of a threat of rain, he put them in the garage. The problem???

He stacked them with one leaning on the other. Apparently the shellac was not dry enough, and he went out there tonight and the doors are solidly stuck together.

Is there anything we can do to separate them? We don't care about sanding and refinishing them- no problem to do that. We just don't want to lose the cost of these expensive doors!

Any info on how "sticky" shellac is? Can they be pried apart and still be left in tact? Or is shellac like a wood glue and they will never ever come apart again?

K

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Shellac is always resoluble in its solvent, alcohol. If you can get some in there put in denatured alcohol, let it sit for a couple of minutes and they should come apart.

FWIW, shellac is used to hold key pads on woodwind instruments. For one reason, it's reversible like this.

Take heart, it could have been latex paint and that REALLY sticks to itself.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 8:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Shellac is also used for gasket adhesive in auto engine work. It's very sticky. You may risk peeling off some wood in the process. I would strike the doors along their edges to shear them apart rather than pry them directly apart. One swift decisive heavy blow should do it. I'm thinking a 3 lb. hammer.
Casey

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™