Help? Leaking Vinyl Windows

timmyg123September 23, 2010

I am having some problems with leaking windows, attached to the front of my house with a brick facade.

They are leaking at the top, and the recaulking I just did between the lintel and windows did not help. I suspect the leaks are the result of bad installation with water getting behind the bricks and not draining where it should. The area between lintel and window was wet when I cleaned it out and recaulked.

Any ideas on how to fix this? should I just get some new windows installed properly or should i try and have them repaired?

i'm at my wits end and would appreciate any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eastbay10

Generally when a leak appears at the top of a window, it is not a window leak. If you can actually see the water come between the glass and frame, that is a different matter.
I would venture a guess that it is either (1)poor or no flashing or (2) the water is coming from somewhere else and finding its way to the window because it is an opening in your wall. So long story short, don't replace the window until you know it's the windows fault or you may go to a lot of trouble and expense for naught.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 4:27PM
timmyg123

thanks, but how would i go about determining the cause?

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 7:14AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Open up the drywall above the windows where the leaks are happening.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:42AM
naylorcherie_yahoo_com

I have vinyl windows that when it rain (mostly heavy rain), water stains inside at the lower right and left corners (some windows in the middle section as well as the right and left section). What can I use to stop the water from coming in (I know that the windows are not slant enough to remove all the water, I am seeing). I appreciate if you can help me out.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:38PM
skydawggy

Many leaks around windows generally can be traced to a problem with your roof unless you can visibly see the siding or drip cap is not sealed correctly.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:56PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Drip cap or head flashing.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Installation of Steel Front Entry Door + Sidelites - 1 Man or 2?
Hello, everyone, I have posted here a few times about...
sahmmy_gw
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™