sealing painted vanity

laurmelaMay 11, 2007

Hi,

I am painting my bathroom vanity and was wondering how to seal it best. Is there a type of wax to use, or is it just poly.

They were standard oak builders cabinets, I first sanded, primed with zinzer (sp) then applied behr Bitter Chocolate, so far 2 coats. I just lightly sanded and will do a third coat. I want to gently distress then seal in some way.

I will try to post pics.

Thanks,

Laura

Old Cabinets

primed and embellishments added

first coat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmealy

Why do you think it needs to be sealed?

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 9:59PM
laurmela

I guess it is just habit! Not that it sees much moisture. Just wanted to protect it.

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 12:15AM
kmealy

That's what the paint is for ;-)

A friend of mine is a pretty good finisher and for years was publisher / editor of a woodworking magazine. He told me once, "There's a reason why you don't see people putting polyurethane over the paint on the outside of their houses."

Wax is not really waterproof. The fact that water beads up on it is a matter of surface tension. Water does still get through unless it's really thick.

One of poly's weaknesses is adhesion. You risk creating more of a mess if adhesion fails.

The only time I put clear finish over "paint" is when I'm glazing a painted (lacquer) finish and need to lock down the glaze and adjust the sheen with a coat of clear lacquer.

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 9:43PM
laurmela

Ok, then I guess I am fine!

I will have to post the pics when I am done.

Just need to hang the doors and put on the hardware. Then add a bit of distressing and wear. Hope it turns out all right!

Thanks,

Laura

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 2:51PM
kmealy

Looks like you've done a fine job.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 9:33PM
klc0812

kmealy.....I want to do something similar to our oak vanity! I also wanted to change the countertop, though and was wondering what kind of tile that is you used....it looks great! Did you build a whole new countertop or did you cover what was there? Can't wait to see pics of the finished project!
Thanks!

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 3:03PM
laurmela

Sorry I never posted pics when it was finished! The tile is granite, sorry I can't remember the name. We took off the faux marble top and rebuilt for the tile.

Here is a pic.

Looking at maybe doing the same finish to a desk I bought at the consignment store. So far it has worked well.

Laura

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 2:54PM
linnea56

The granite tile is really nice! I've been thinking about doing that for our bathroom. I don't want to do a major renovation and it would be too small an order to have a slab granite counter made (too $$, too!). You did a beautiful job on those edges. Was it hard to do? IÂve done a ceramic tile counter in my old house. Did you use thick plywood as a base for it? The tile looks good with those drop in sinks. The whole job looks nice.

I have formica cabinets in my bathroom, unfortunately. So no refinishing will be possible. I still have to figure out what to do about those. I really donÂt want to get all new.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 1:36AM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Need help matching wood stain color
The molding in our kitchen was not completed when we...
candeelyn
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Sponsored Products
Driscoll 2Lt Wall / Bath a Brushed Nickel
PLFixtures
Access Waterworks 59" Wide Chrome LED Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Hinkley Lanza Bronze 34" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Oval White Ceramic Self Rimming Bathroom Sink
TheBathOutlet
Smart Led Light Control Circle Plug In Night Lamp
ParrotUncle