tempered glass question

kraftkrazySeptember 10, 2009

where does everyone get their tempered glass from? i went to a couple of glass stores near me and they both told me that its not something that they stock, it has to be special ordered. and that anytime they have any that breaks it is on a job site and is immediately thrown away at the job site.. so in otherwords, unless i wanted to place a special order, dont look for them to have any small pieces. so do you have to be extremely lucky and just happen upon it or is there a trick and i just dont know it yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gibsona

Kraft - I get mine from a window installer that happens to live next door. You might try going to that type of place as they have to throw away what they take out on the job somewhere. You also might try asking for patio doors, etc. on Freecycle and/or Craigslist. If you lived close enough, I'd gladly give you some of mine. Anywhere near North Texas? Good Luck! I think it's the best! :0)
Ann

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 10:06PM
nanatricia

You can also use shower door .

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 10:42PM
squirrellycanadian

I had a friend who works at an autobody place save me some windows, they are slightly tinted, haven't used them yet. Apparently it has to be the side windows, not the windsheild. Keep your eye out at the thrift stores for glass shelving, it's usually tempered.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 11:25PM
katishooked

Kraft, also if you live near someone who has a car junk yard you can get some side windows from them real cheap.
I too see tg listed on Craigs List a lot. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 6:27AM
mzclassic

Dern I'm having the same problem, can't find it anywhere and I'm dying to try it.

Donna in Florida

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 7:28AM
kraftkrazy

thanks all for your suggestions...my next step is to go to an auto repair shop,,i have called a few with negative results,,maybe if i am there and seeing the wrecked cars it wont be so easy to tell me they dont have any,,, whowuddathunk it would be so difficult to locate,,,and i live in the los angeles area, you wouldnt think it would be so hard

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 8:43AM
texasfern

I have gone to glass retailers, you know the ones that install windows and patio doors etc.
I thought the glass that was in cars was different.
Put an ad on Craigs list for shower doors.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™