Cedar Lumber pricing

intheshedMay 7, 2005

I just ordered some cedar from local lumberyard to build some porch chairs and table. 2x6 is $4/LF, 1x6 is 2.18/LF. Supposedly a good grade w/ only a few very small knots. Has anyone priced this lately? want to be sure not getting totally taken. Checked a few websites, but so far none list the price and i'm tired of googling and clicking for no $. Thx.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
erik_hammarlund

32 dollars for an 8' 2x6 seems a little high, though if that's a real 2x6 and not a 1.5/5.5 it may not be. I think you may be getting looped, though I confess I haven't checked ceder prices as of late. I'd call around.

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 9:04PM
bobntess

This sounds about right for the western red cedar prices I have found - very expensive for anything over 4/4. If you want a comparison try this link:

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/static/index.htm

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 9:59AM
kudzu9

I live in the Seattle area. Here's a price list for many sizes and grades around here so you can make a comparison:

Dunn

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:35AM
intheshed

Thanks for the words and links folks - found out that i'm paying in the ballpark - maybe just a few pennies high, but as i said,it's the local lumberyard and their service is pretty good, it's 2 miles from home, and it's NOT a big box store. again thanks

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 3:35PM
texasnavyman44_yahoo_com

I recently made a 5ft half log cedar mantle, after sanding from 100, 150, to 220 with gator sand paper Ithen applied 2 coats of min-a-wax natural stain which really brought out the rich red in the grain. I let dry for a day then foam brushed on 3 coats of fast drying water based polycrylic. Im interested in receiving comments or pointers on my process and the durability of the polycrylic.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™