Sanding belt splice

bus_driverMay 26, 2007

My 4 x 24 portable belt sanders (two of them) get used sporadically. A few years ago, I bought a quantity of belts by mail order. Butt spliced at an angle, run either direction, "bumpless". Tape on the back for the splice. Now the tape just pulls loose, sticky but no holding power. Belts are useless as they are. Stored under fairly good conditions, but not perfect. How can I salvage these belts? What kind of effective tape can I apply to hold them/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodchuckcanuck_com

duct tape. Did you buy belts for a commercial unit (free standing units) and are trying to use them on a hand held sander? Either way I suspect the belts, using tape on the back, will only last so long compared to premade loop belts. You could try adjusting the tension of the belts, might help too.

Jim

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 5:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
As far as I know, you are SOL. If you already have some, maybe tyvek tape is worth a try, but it's about $18/roll right now.
The problem is the heat from the friction is going to affect the adhesive. Cut them up for your quarter sheet or 1/3 sheet pad sander I suppose.
Casey

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™