Exterior panel shutters

tunnymowgMay 8, 2009

My husband is going to be making us some new exterior shutters and wanted me to get some suggestions on what he should make them out of. They are going to be a fairly simple recessed panel design (two panels with a small bead around each and a cutout in the top panel). They will be painted, so the material should be something that takes and holds paint very well. We're planning to mount them (on fiber cement siding) with functional hinges and put shutterdogs on them but they probably will not ever be closed. I just really like the look of traditional, functional shutters. My husband was thinking cedar or redwood. Thoughts?

Dianne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frank-h

I built some , fixed louver type, for a customer. I used cypress. It is rot resistant and machines fairly well. It was less expensive than cedar, and was easier for me to get. I used Cabots water based stain on them. Shutter hardware is quite expensive.
Frank

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 2:44PM
cherri

We are planning to also "try" to build raised panel shutters. Appreciate the suggestion on the cypress. My question is where is the best place to go to get the wood? We live in the Midwest and I don't think the box stores would have the right quality. Does anyone know if there is a website with direction to help with the build. DH has all the tools necessary, but we have not tackled this kind of project before.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 10:06PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Redwood, western red cedar, or cypress are all good choices but you're not likely to find suitable material at a big box store. Since you're going to paint them, there are plenty of other choices, probably cheaper and easier to obtain. Pine and fir come to mind.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 8:21AM
bobismyuncle

Based on what you describe, I'd probably make them like a two panel raised panel door.

"Midwest is a pretty big place, but try the link below once you decide on a species.

Here is a link that might be useful: woodfinder

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™